Optico-physical department is one of the oldest scientific teams of the Space Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The Department's main activity is:
- Study of the Solar System's bodies
- Research of the Earth and its ecology
- Development of the methods and facilities for s/c attitude control
- Video and spectrometric data processing and interpretation
- Calibration, testing and processing of onboard instrumentation
- Software development
At present 17 star trackers of the BOKZ family and three multiband imaging cameras are operating onboard seven Russian s/c.